Monday, September 13, 2010

By Ear

My ability to play music on the keyboard by ear is improving.

Playing music by ear is basically just hitting the notes according to the song you hear without referring to any sheet music. And making your own arrangements and accompaniments. I can tell you that the feeling and the satisfaction you get when you're able to play a song you just heard on the radio impromptu is AWESOME.

Who hates reading sheet music? *Puts my hand up*

Starting out will be a little tough, but as time goes by, you gain experience. For me, when I wanna play a new song I just come across on the Net, I start out by only playing the basic melody on my right hand. Once the melody and the gist of the song is clearer, I add my left-hand chords, changing and improvising the style and arrangement as I go along. Tried Shontelle's "No Gravity" which wasn't too tough. Today, I played a song that I heard for the first time. And it's relatively easy because the chords are pretty standard. It's The Wanted's new single, "Heart Vacancy", which is a lovely song. Peep the music video below!